The Entire Story — A Bio

Before I begin any deep details, let me introduce myself by way of my biography from the 2006 Tengesdal-Lerfald family history book, “Mountains, Fjords, Prairies”:

Since Dr. Kihle didn’t work on Saturdays, and Kevin was to be a surgical birth, Kevin was born on Monday, February 21, 1966 just two days after his grandfather Jorgen’s birthday. He was the last grandchild to be born to Jorgen and Sophie Tengesdal and he was the ninth child of Roy and Ardith. He was baptized at Betania Lutheran in May of 1966. He was confirmed at English Lutheran in Maxbass in 1981.

Kevin grew up on his parent’s farmstead near Maxbass, spending many days up at Mama Lou’s with his cousins Scott and Dwight. He attended nine years of education at Maxbass (with fond memories of his teacher Mrs. Georgia Smith) until the high school merged with Newburg in 1981. Kevin was involved with the school editorial staff, with the Farmers Union youth program (which was at the time under the direction of his brother Clifford), and with the Grace Lutheran Brethren youth group in Bottineau.

Kevin’s love for travel started early with summer family vacations to the state of Washington. One particularly memorable trip to Washington was with his Uncle Bob Steen and his sister Kathryn. Bob sure loved to drive fast around the mountain curves. His first jet flight was to Los Angeles with his sister Kristine during his junior year of high school.

Kevin graduated in 1984 and then went on to study business administration at Minot State College. While there, he was active with the Campus Players drama group, the MSC Summer Theatre program, and with Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship.

In 1986, Kevin desired to leave North Dakota to discover the world. First, he inspected various colleges in the Puget Sound area of Washington and also checked out the job market there. Then, upon the encouragement of his brothers, he joined the Navy. He started basic training at Chicago in December, and then attended the Operation Specialist tech school at Dam Neck near Virginia Beach, VA. in 1987, Kevin was transferred to his permanent duty station aboard the USS England CG22. The ship was in dry-dock in Long Beach before being re-homeported to San Diego that fall. In southern California his weekends were spent either with his Uncle Bob Steen, or with his cousin Mark Tengesdal.